sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Forum Érable Atlas
Bonjour et Bienvenue
sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Forum Érable Atlas
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Derniers sujets
» Logement 4 1/2 à louer Montréal
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime15/06/23, 04:58 am par april_family

» Parrainage 2023?
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime20/03/23, 02:36 am par medamine5

» Qui a commencé la procédure EXPRESS ENTRY ?
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime05/10/22, 02:57 am par hhicham

» procédure de parrainage au québec ( exterieur )
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime09/03/22, 08:46 pm par sam

» Diplome Privé et procedure de permis de travail
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime26/02/22, 04:03 pm par root

» Livre de citoyenneté
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime13/01/22, 01:53 am par kamal1982

» Opticiens recherchés
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime11/11/21, 04:16 pm par AZUL

» Immigrer : un voyage initiatique à la rencontre des autres et de soi
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime01/11/21, 03:15 pm par hio

» Permis detude
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime30/10/21, 01:21 am par yeya

» Envois demande de CSQ REMPLI au ŕepondant.
Can you describe your emotions in english ? I_icon_minitime14/10/21, 11:08 pm par sam

Rechercher

Résultats par :

Rechercher Recherche avancée

Le Deal du moment :
Jeux, jouets et Lego : le deuxième à ...
Voir le deal

Can you describe your emotions in english ?

+5
thht
admin27
melkam
emy
Rachel
9 participants

Can you describe your emotions in english ? Empty Can you describe your emotions in english ?

Message par Rachel 23/12/06, 06:52 pm

Hi my friends,

Here are some expressions which can help you to improve your speech. Don't hesitate to use it !

- To feel « down in the dumps » : to feel sad

- I’m “on cloud 9” : I’m extremly happy

- Your boss “hit the ceiling” : he became very angry

- Don’t be too “antsy” : don’t be too nervous

- Someone feel “blue in the face” : he is embarassed

- To feel “little under the weather” : to be very sick

- She is “driving you nuts” : she is annoying you

A word to the wise is enough ! (à bon entendeur salut !)

A+
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel

Féminin Nombre de messages : 3463
Résidence : Casablanca
Emploi : RRH
Statut : Visaiste

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Can you describe your emotions in english ? Empty Can you describe your emotions in english ?

Message par emy 23/12/06, 07:38 pm

Important expressions.
Thanks Rachel.
emy
emy

Féminin Nombre de messages : 1138
Résidence : casablanca
Statut : Visa reçu le 20/05

Can you describe your emotions in english ? Empty Re: Can you describe your emotions in english ?

Message par Invité 23/12/06, 08:05 pm

Thank you rachel, those words seems very family, i can use it with my close friend of mine.

Invité
Invité

Can you describe your emotions in english ? Empty Re: Can you describe your emotions in english ?

Message par melkam 23/12/06, 10:29 pm

Thank you Rachel ,

I am happy to read you back in forum after this absence.

Friendly .
Melkam .

melkam

Masculin Nombre de messages : 889
Résidence : Montreal
Emploi : Cadre Technique
Statut : Resident permanent .

Message par Rachel 24/12/06, 06:55 pm

Hi Melkam,

I'm here, sir.

I can't stay away from the forum Smile

A+
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel

Message par admin27 24/12/06, 08:49 pm

thank you,

Nour
admin27
admin27

Masculin Nombre de messages : 2276
Résidence : Montréal - Québec
Emploi : Benevole

Message par thht 25/12/06, 11:01 am

Cool thank you
thht
thht

Masculin Nombre de messages : 2167
Résidence : Toronto

Message par 1/4im 25/12/06, 01:44 pm

thanks rachel !
here are some emotions types :

Thankfulness
Envy
Disgust
Worry
Kindheartedness
Stress
Boredom
Sadness
Loneliness
Bravery
Paranoia
Optimism
Stubbornness
Fear
Anxiety
1/4im
1/4im

Masculin Nombre de messages : 709
Résidence : casablanca
Emploi : dessinateur industriel
Statut : maroc

Message par kabi 10/01/07, 11:54 pm

Hummm we learn a lot with you sweet Rachel Smile !!!

Well I would like to switch on some light on this subject , so I will look for another expressions that have same meaning of idiomatic used by Rachel here in this message:

- To feel « down in the dumps » : to feel sad

When I left my family for coming here in Canada I was down in the dump for a couple of months.

When I left my family for coming here in Canada I was as sick as a parrot for a couple of months.

- I’m “on cloud 9” : I’m extremly happy

When I heard the news of getting the visa for some Érabliste I was on cloud nine.

When I heard the news of getting the visa for some Érabliste I was in seventh heaven (I was over the moon)

- Your boss “hit the ceiling” : he became very angry

Salah hits the ceiling when he lost his job

Salah was in black mood when he lost his job

- Don’t be too “antsy” : don’t be too nervous

Before going to pass interview of immigration , I advised an érabliste " Don’t be too ansty , you will got it in cha allah"

Before going to pass interview of immigration , I advised an érabliste " Don’t be at the end of your tether , you will got it in cha allah"

- Someone feel “blue in the face” : he is embarassed

At our first days of immigration when we meet some English Canadian and don't understand what they said, me and my friend felt blue in the face.

At our first days of immigration when we meet some English Canadian and don't understand what they said, me and my friend were a bit miffed.

- To feel “little under the weather” : to be very sick

I'm feeling a little under the weather - I think I may have caught a cold.
I feel a bit light-headed. I think I may have caught a cold.

- She is “driving you nuts” : she is annoying you

Malika lost her "carte soleil" so, that drives her nuts.
Malika lost her "carte soleil" so, she got very steamed up about it .

Here are some of other idiomatic:

• I got a bit hot under the collar today because there's no more work in my office. ( = to feel irritated )

• she's hopping mad because her daughter's neighbour has broken her window . = suddenly lose one's temper

I hope that can help .

kabi

Masculin Nombre de messages : 3192
Résidence : New-Brunswick
Statut : Citoyen canadien

Message par Invité 11/01/07, 10:46 am

yes it helps, thanks a lot.
I appreciate a lot your examples, they're very instructive.

Said,

Invité
Invité

Message par Rachel 11/01/07, 03:20 pm

Thanks kabi.

Your examples are clear and pertinent.

I have a question : are these expressions in current use in Canada or it depends on the regions ?

A+
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel

Message par ANA2 11/01/07, 03:20 pm

Hi friends,
It’s very interesting to learn English from each other; I would like to give you some idioms using colors:

Blue

Feeling blue = feeling unhappy: “What’s the matter with you? Feeling blue?”
Out of the blue = completely unexpected: “I sent off my application to the company, but heard nothing. Then completely out of the blue they sent me a letter.”

Red

See red = become extremely angry: “When people are cruel to animals, it really makes me see red.”

Red carpet treatment = treat someone with great respect: “When we visit our offices in Asia, we get the red carpet treatment.” (When heads of state visit countries, red carpets are rolled out for them to walk on.)

Green

Get the green light = get the approval to start something: “We’ve finally got the green light to start research on the new product.”

Black

Give someone a black look = look at someone as if you are angry: “Why is giving me such a black look? I hope I haven’t said anything to upset him.”

In black and white = be extremely clear: “This contract is in black and white: we aren’t allowed to keep any pets in this house.”

White

Whitewash = cover up the truth: “I don’t believe his story. I think it’s all a whitewash.”

Grey

A grey area = something which is not definite or black and white: “I think genetic engineering is a bit of a grey area. There are pro’s and con’s to both sides of the argument.”

Yours faithfully

ANA2

Masculin Nombre de messages : 202
Résidence : Montréal
Emploi : Ingenieur
Statut : Résident Permanent

Message par kabi 12/01/07, 03:21 pm

Rachel wrote , thu Jan 11th - 10:20 : "I have a question : are these expressions in current use in Canada or it depends on the regions ?"

It's not a particuliarity in Canada, it's used by any english-speaking persons, but it's a common language in public discussion, not in the street.

Thank you ANA2 for your contribution, it's in black and white that your idioms help to improve our english language. We are on cloud 9 to know new things Wink

kabi

Masculin Nombre de messages : 3192
Résidence : New-Brunswick
Statut : Citoyen canadien

Message par ANA2 12/01/07, 08:59 pm

Thanks Kabi. Please find below some idioms using "face" and parts of the face:

Face

Face-to-face = in person: "We need to arrange a face-to-face meeting.”
Face the music = take responsibility for a difficult situation: “We’ve got to face the music – this company is going under.”
Be tow-faced = be hypocritical: “I can’t believe she told you that she likes Ali – she told me she hates him! She’s so tow-faced”

Ears

Be all ears = listen attentively: “So, you’ve got an idea. I’m all ears.”
Up to your ears in something = be extremely busy: “I’m sorry I can’t come out this weekend – I’m up to my ears in work.”

Eye

Have your eye on something / someone = want something or someone: “I’ve got my eye on a new computer.”
Have eyes in the back of your head = warn someone that you can see exactly what they are doing: “Don’t make those signs at me – I’ve got eyes in the back of my head and I can see what you’re doing.”

Nose

Stick your nose in = get involved in something or someone else’s business: “I wish she wouldn’t stick her nose in like that – I really don’t want anyone else’s help.”

ANA2

Message par Invité 12/01/07, 10:53 pm

Thanks kabi and ANA2,

We need such as lesson to improve our english, it helps to keep the touch with this language.

Invité
Invité

Message par ANA2 15/01/07, 09:51 pm

Hi friends,

Here are some idioms using other parts of the face:

On the tip of my tongue = when you’ve forgotten the word you want to say: “What’s the word for it – It’s on the tip of my tongue.”

Tongue-tied = when you can’t say anything because you feel shy: “She’s tongue-tied when she has to speak in public.”

Stick your neck out = do or say something that might have negative results: “I’m going to stick my neck out and say what I think.”

Idioms using head:

Have your head in the clouds = dream: “He’s always got his head in the clouds – he makes all these impossible plans.”

Be head over heels in love = be completely in love with someone: “You can see that he’s head over heels in love with her.”

Use your head = think about something to solve a problem: “It’s quite simple – just use your head!”

Bye

ANA2

Message par lion69 24/05/07, 03:43 pm

thanks my freinds for this effort witch you profide in orderyou make us in toutch whith this lovely la nguage.
serously this expressionsisis useful at a many situations so it's better to laern it by heart ans use it when you need in the dialogue

frankly today very hapy because i beleive that step we wil qive aus a opportunity to improve our vocabulry and grama

so my freind go on successs htis experience

lion69

Masculin Nombre de messages : 494
Résidence : temara
Emploi : en formation de cycle superieur de l'Ena

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé