sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Forum Érable Atlas
Bonjour et Bienvenue
sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Forum Érable Atlas
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Derniers sujets
» Logement 4 1/2 à louer Montréal
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime15/06/23, 04:58 am par april_family

» Parrainage 2023?
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime20/03/23, 02:36 am par medamine5

» Qui a commencé la procédure EXPRESS ENTRY ?
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime05/10/22, 02:57 am par hhicham

» procédure de parrainage au québec ( exterieur )
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime09/03/22, 08:46 pm par sam

» Diplome Privé et procedure de permis de travail
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime26/02/22, 04:03 pm par root

» Livre de citoyenneté
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime13/01/22, 01:53 am par kamal1982

» Opticiens recherchés
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime11/11/21, 04:16 pm par AZUL

» Immigrer : un voyage initiatique à la rencontre des autres et de soi
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime01/11/21, 03:15 pm par hio

» Permis detude
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime30/10/21, 01:21 am par yeya

» Envois demande de CSQ REMPLI au ŕepondant.
English mistakes that make people laugh I_icon_minitime14/10/21, 11:08 pm par sam

Rechercher

Résultats par :

Rechercher Recherche avancée

Le Deal du moment : -29%
PC portable – MEDION 15,6″ FHD Intel i7 ...
Voir le deal
499.99 €

English mistakes that make people laugh

5 participants

English mistakes that make people laugh Empty English mistakes that make people laugh

Message par Rachel 09/03/08, 12:53 pm

Salam,

Learn and enjoy Wink

No one learns a new language without making mistakes. And while we'd all prefer to dodge embarrassing errors, they're hard to avoid entirely. So be prepared to giggle along every once in a while! Here are some slip-ups that will surely get a smile from listeners.

I cooked my grandma

You're talking about your weekend and say, "My grandma visited and I cooked her." Of course you didn't cook your grandmother! You cooked FOR her. Verbs can change their meaning completely when they are followed by a preposition (e.g. find, find out; grow, grow up, so be careful! Always use 'for' when you're talking about preparing a meal for someone. Leave it out in reference to food, e.g. "I cooked spaghetti." Whatever you do, don't serve Grandma Betty for dinner!

I went to hold up my sister at school

Say this and your listeners will picture one of two things : either you prevented your sister from falling down or you robbed her at gunpoint. Not likely! What you probably meant was 'pick up', not 'hold up'. 'To pick up' means 'to take hold of'. But it also means 'to fetch someone, usually by car. So if you don't want to make your sister mad, remember to pick her up – not prop her up or rob her!

The chicken was crowded with people

A chicken is an unusual place to hang out. Or did you mean 'kitchen'? Chicken and kitchen are examples of English words that contain similar sounds – in this case, 'ch' and 'k'. While those sounds are placed differently in each word, your tongue can easily trip over them. So make sure you ask your friends to join you in the kitchen for some chicken and not the other way around!

We asked our neighbors to eat the cat while we were on vacation

Your neighbors might think you're very weird if you knock on their door and ask them to snack on your pet cat. Your cat won't be too happy, either! But that's what would happen if you mix up the verbs 'to eat' and 'to feed'. The first verb means 'to consume food', while the second means 'to give food'. Big difference when it involves your pets!

I'm so boring !

Say this to your friend during a film and they'll probably give you a very strange look. Do you mean that your personality is rather dull, or that you don't find the movie very interesting? Many English learners make this mistake because they confuse present and past participles (verb forms used as an adjective). You can say "The film is boring because it is making me bored."

Practice making sentences using other participles, like 'confused / confusing' and 'interested / interesting', until you understand the difference!

Source : englishtown.com

A+
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel

Féminin Nombre de messages : 3463
Résidence : Casablanca
Emploi : RRH
Statut : Visaiste

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

English mistakes that make people laugh Empty Re: English mistakes that make people laugh

Message par kabi 09/03/08, 03:33 pm

That's amazing!!!

Thanks a lot Rachel, we will pay more attention next time when we would like to practise english.

I'm just wondering what will happen if we cook our grandmother and go to hold up our sister to school, then we will back at home and find out that the chiken was crowded with people before to go to ask our neighbour to eat the cat ? Wink

OKay okay I know I'm boring Smile

kabi

Masculin Nombre de messages : 3192
Résidence : New-Brunswick
Statut : Citoyen canadien

English mistakes that make people laugh Empty Re: English mistakes that make people laugh

Message par kabi 09/03/08, 03:59 pm

It makes me remember some amazing stuff concerning the beauty of english language that I read one day ... here is what I found:

Why we call it an eggplant if there is no egg in eggplant(aubergine), nor ham in hamburger; neither apple or pine in pineapple (ananas). Wink

And while no one knows what is in a hotdog, you can be pretty sure it isn’t canine.

English muffins were not invented in England but we still call them English muffins, isn't that amazing.

here is another one : why fried potates called French fries even if we know they are not invented in France. Very Happy

Sweetmeats are candies, while sweet breads, which aren’t sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and guinea pig (un cobaye) is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. Razz

is anyone could tell me why do people recite at a play, and play at a recital? Ship by truck or car and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways? Very Happy

kabi

Masculin Nombre de messages : 3192
Résidence : New-Brunswick
Statut : Citoyen canadien

Message par bestway 12/03/08, 10:39 am

thanks a lot friends"Rachel"and "kabi"for this sentences it's so important.
bestway
bestway

Féminin Nombre de messages : 686
Résidence : casablanca
Statut : en attente IVM

Message par nouha 24/07/08, 03:28 pm

Rachel a écrit:Salam,

Say this to your friend during a film and they'll probably give you a very strange look. Do you mean that your personality is rather dull, or that you don't find the movie very interesting? Many English learners make this mistake because they confuse present and past participles (verb forms used as an adjective). You can say "The film is boring because it is making me bored."

Practice making sentences using other participles, like 'confused / confusing' and 'interested / interesting', until you understand the difference!Source : englishtown.com

A+
Rachel

Just found out this section, am I late? sorry but I would like to explain more if it's possible. thanks a lot.
nouha
nouha

Féminin Nombre de messages : 2337
Résidence : Installee
Emploi : Banquière
Statut : Installée

Message par marta 24/07/08, 05:11 pm

may be but i can't
marta
marta

Féminin Nombre de messages : 2259
Emploi : Gestion/Administration

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé