sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Forum Érable Atlas
Bonjour et Bienvenue
sur le Forum ErableAtlas

Merci pour votre passage.

Forum Érable Atlas
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Derniers sujets
» Logement 4 1/2 à louer Montréal
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime15/06/23, 04:58 am par april_family

» Parrainage 2023?
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime20/03/23, 02:36 am par medamine5

» Qui a commencé la procédure EXPRESS ENTRY ?
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime05/10/22, 02:57 am par hhicham

» procédure de parrainage au québec ( exterieur )
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime09/03/22, 08:46 pm par sam

» Diplome Privé et procedure de permis de travail
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime26/02/22, 04:03 pm par root

» Livre de citoyenneté
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime13/01/22, 01:53 am par kamal1982

» Opticiens recherchés
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime11/11/21, 04:16 pm par AZUL

» Immigrer : un voyage initiatique à la rencontre des autres et de soi
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime01/11/21, 03:15 pm par hio

» Permis detude
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime30/10/21, 01:21 am par yeya

» Envois demande de CSQ REMPLI au ŕepondant.
Can you understand canadian english ? I_icon_minitime14/10/21, 11:08 pm par sam

Rechercher

Résultats par :

Rechercher Recherche avancée

Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache Runner
Voir le deal
69.99 €

Can you understand canadian english ?

+2
wydadz
Rachel
6 participants

Can you understand canadian english ? Empty Can you understand canadian english ?

Message par Rachel 07/09/08, 02:12 pm

Salam,

You have to pay attention to canadian english vocabulary ! Wink
Have a look at these sentences...

1. You are at a party with some Canadians and one of them asks if you want to go for a “dart”. What does “dart” mean?
A cigarette

2. In Canada, an overeager, brown-nosing person is called a:
Keener

3. What Canadian city does “Hogtown” refer to?
Toronto

4. The waitress asked if you would like a “serviette”. What is a “serviette”
A paper napkin

5. What’s a “Canuck”? (French Canadian Wink)
A slang word for Canadians

6. It’s a cold day as usual in Canada. Your friend reminds you to wear your “toque.” What are they talking about?
A knit winter hat

7. What is a “square head”?
A word used to describe English/Anglo Canadians

8. What is the slang word for describing a stereotypical English-Canadian male?
A hoser

9. Please complete this phrase the way a Canadian would: “It’s a nice day out, __”
"Eh?"

10. Your Canadian neighbour asks if you want to go to “The Ballet”. Where does he want to go?
A strip club (I was really surprised by the "canadian" meaning of the ballet !)

Rachel

P.S : If you need to explain some words, use this link http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hoser
Rachel
Rachel

Féminin Nombre de messages : 3463
Résidence : Casablanca
Emploi : RRH
Statut : Visaiste

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Can you understand canadian english ? Empty Re: Can you understand canadian english ?

Message par wydadz 07/09/08, 02:32 pm

Thanks Rachel,

Quite interseting! maybe the connection between the strip club and the place where the ballet dancers train is the metal bar!!

wydadz

Masculin Nombre de messages : 459
Résidence : Montréal
Statut : Résident permanent

Can you understand canadian english ? Empty Re: Can you understand canadian english ?

Message par nouha 07/09/08, 03:44 pm

you know its note only English which has some complicate Canadian word, but also French, we think that we are note going to have any problem in French since it s our second language but it s note the truth, their French is a little bit complicate without referring to pronunciation, don t worry we just need time to be familiar we them. thanks rachel for the lesson
nouha
nouha

Féminin Nombre de messages : 2337
Résidence : Installee
Emploi : Banquière
Statut : Installée

Message par feyrouz 07/09/08, 10:43 pm

I actually prefer their english more than their french! I remember, in one encounter i had with a lady from montreal, I couldn't understand a word of what she was saying, i had to immediately swich to english because it sounded like a very different french not the one we are all used to!!!
But as you say Nouha, it is just a question of getting used to! ewa allah ykattab lina njiw ltama ou nhadrou m3ahoume hta b.... chalha!!!
feyrouz
feyrouz

Féminin Nombre de messages : 496
Statut : Résidente permanente

Message par lion69 09/09/08, 12:08 am

hi
thanks rachel for you contribution i find it very important
in fact the vocabulary and prouciation differ betwen region and country
son in the first , each of us must learn englich very hard and develop their capacity in comunication interactionand and reading . this way may be have agood result in term of enrichissement of vocabulary
the problem of unterstanding some canadiensentences english is easy to d eal with swill i'amvery convinced that it will be be resolved after spending a short time in canada . so people must do an effort to deal with any situation and to aquier all the new word wich he will lisen

lion69

Masculin Nombre de messages : 494
Résidence : temara
Emploi : en formation de cycle superieur de l'Ena

Message par kabi 09/09/08, 03:31 am

thanks rachel,

Canadians draw out the vowel sounds in words and emphasize them more than Americans do.
you can hear a canadian prononce the voyel between his teeth a little bit more deeply than american.

Canadian give you the feeling that they speak slower than they usually do and say their vowel sounds as though there were 2 or 3 of the given vowel in a word instead of just one.
American pronnouce "against" as it's writen, but canadian emphasize on the "g" : agggainst .

Rounding your "o" (Oot in a boat. Hawt instead of hot) and flattening your "a" will help you sound just like a Canadian native. exemple you will hear Canadians saying "aboot" instead of "about".

try it if you wanna be a "square head" Wink

kabi

Masculin Nombre de messages : 3192
Résidence : New-Brunswick
Statut : Citoyen canadien

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé